Scope of the role
This role is part of the Global Information Services (GIS, Global IT) department of the company. GIS is proud to bring cutting-edge innovation, strong technology and advanced analytics to the company. With speed and agility we ensure that the company has the technological competitive advantages it needs to deliver on its ambition.
The Scrum Master is a hands-on, driven professional who is part of a product team. He or she ensures the product team is fully functional, productive, continuously improving and focused on the sprint goals in terms of continuous improvement. The Scrum Master will support everyone involved with their individual skills to maximize the potential of the team. He supports the team with organizational knowledge and advocates a strong agile culture and mindset within GIS and its stakeholders. A large part of the Scrum Master’s role is to help everyone on the team. Therefore, strong coaching skills are crucial. A good Scrum Master needs to know what to do, but also needs to explain the how and the why. In addition, he or she also encourages members to improve their skills and collaboration.
• Facilitate Agile practices and ceremonies; daily stand-up meetings, reviews, retrospectives, sprint and release planning and other activities as needed;
• Promote and demonstrate core principles of collaboration, prioritization, team accountability and visibility (being an ambassador);
• Ensures a collaborative culture exists within GIS , its (external) development partners and their product teams, promotes team building and ensures the entire team is engaged;
• Identify and support the team with removing any impediments/distractions that interfere with the team’s ability to deliver against their commitments;
• Coaches the team in creating the product backlog, sprint backlogs and writing user stories in the most pragmatic way;
• Support Product Team in tracking and communicating team progress and backlogs. Looks for opportunities to increase teams effectiveness (and therewith business value);
• Manages ‘Work In Progress Limits’, making sure the team is not working on too many stories/tasks at once, and helps them get into a flow of starting and completing work in a predictable manner. Protects the team from distractions;
• Identifies product team improvement opportunities and looks externally for best practices in order to increase team effectiveness and overall product quality;
• Encourages the team to look for opportunities to help each other out (e.g. by swarming higher priority user stories that team members are struggling with);
• Work with other Scrum Masters to increase effectiveness of agile ways of working in the organization.
The Scrum Master with the additional role of Chapter Lead acts both as a line manager for chapter members as well as the thought leader for the chapters’ area of expertise. In doing so a Chapter Lead still remains part of a Product Team. The Chapter Lead reports to the Portfolio Owner
For the company the agile mind-set is centered around four principles; focus on customer value, power to the teams, start quick and smart and learn relentlessly. As a Scrum Master it is important that you own these principles and integrate them in the daily life of the product team. Further, self-reflection, learning agility and resilience are important elements. Engaging with these elements and become more self-aware of personal strengths and weaknesses, makes majors strides in development of yourself and others.
• Bachelor or Master’s degree
• Scrum Master certified.
• Strong stakeholder management and communication skills;
• Flexible leadership style: able to push back, but also able to pull;
• Derives satisfaction and fulfilment from the role as enabler;
• Excellent team player and team builder;
• Excellent communication skills (both verbal and in writing);
• Positive and problem solving skills;
• Lives and breathes scrum and is able to teach it; / Is an expert in industry agile best practices and methodologies;
• Is a coach, facilitator and leader aiming to increase team's performance, satisfaction and motivation;
• Has enough technical depth and affinity with the product to understand development and delivery issues within the team and judge their relative importance;
• Has knowledge of the business and the importance of creating value for both the business and the customer;
• Understands how to challenge the battle between the longer term vision and short term goals;
• Uses self-reflection to help people grow and develop by looking inward instead of outward;
• Is resilient and uses it to approach challenges, problems and setbacks.
• Ability to work in fast paced environment, meet deadlines and perform at high standards;
• Experience with change management, leadership, coaching, solution oriented and continuous improvement;
• Content knowledge; coding, testing, business analysis is a pre.
• Fluent in English #1045480
Techniek & Internet
Projects & Change Management
Talk to a consultant
Talk to Rosita Akkerman, the specialist consultant managing this position, located in Amsterdam